Skip to main content

Celebrating 100 years


Recently my grandmother (grandma) Meribel Cockerill passed away. She was born on July 11, 1917 and passed away on March 23, 2017. I can’t even imagine living that long!

Friends are telling me they are sorry for my loss. I am sorry, but celebrating. She was not well for many years and honestly, she was miserable on this earth.

Most of my life I never lived near either set of my grandparents. I did, however, live with my grandma Cockerill for six months after my ostomy surgery. It was one of the blessings that came out of a pretty horrible year.

My grandfather had just passed away, and my mom had to return to her job in Germany. I was a LOT better than I had been during the nearly two months I spent in the hospital – but I wasn’t well enough to go back to college or be on my own. Often staying at my grandparents could be stressful. I couldn’t drive, so I couldn’t get out to go to the mall or grab a hamburger. My grandparents didn’t have 18 plus years of experience raising a child with a visual disability, so they were constantly worried about me. Even just going to walk around the building to get fresh air could create anxiety for them and result in tension between us.

When I came to live with my grandma after my surgery, however, walking to the elevator from her apartment was an accomplishment. Day by day I would go a little further and she was okay with it. We got along perhaps the best that we ever did. We really needed each other. I wish I had appreciated more at the time how much I wish I could have asked her now. Her mind was still together then, and it would have been such an opportunity to learn things I wish I knew now.

My grandma Cockerill’s maiden name was Hernandez. Her father, Jose Hernandez, had come to the mainland United States to go to college from Puerto Rico. I didn’t know I had HPS then, or how much I’d wish in later life that I had a way of contacting distant relatives in Puerto Rico. At that time she was in touch with a living cousin who had been a school psychologist.

Sometimes she would tell me stories about visiting her grandma in Puerto Rico as a kid. It wasn’t a simple flight like it is now. They would take a ship – often from New York – and then spend months on the island. Considering that they lived in Oklahoma, that really was quite a trip!

My grandma was the first person who tried to teach me to knit. My parents had gone on a trip for a week, and my grandma and grandpa had come to take care of Ryan and I. At that point in my life I wanted to be Laura Ingels Wilder when I grew up. Knitting seemed like a pioneer kind of thing to do. We went to the store and she bought me some yarn and knitting needles. I never finished the project since, after a week, no one was around to help me. What I knitted was supposed to be a scarf, but it sort of turned into a triangle with a bunch of holes in it. Yet, decades later, when I made my second attempt to learn to knit in college, I did still remember how to knit and purl. Grin!

When my grandma was sick this time, out of curiosity I looked up news headlines from about the time of her birth. She was born weeks before the first draft card was pulled to send troops to World War I. Aviation was just getting off the ground – pun totally intended. Now, we have rovers on Mars sending back photos and videos from the planet’s surface. I’ve seen the stars (via the rover camera) from the vantage point of standing on Mars.

When she was born, no one listened to radios. Today, we have the internet and I regularly communicate with friends around the world.



Although we will greatly miss her, I know she’s happy and whole with her friends in family in heaven. I just hope I don’t join her there anytime soon. While I doubt I’ll walk the Earth 100 years, I still have a lot to do here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ratner's Cheesecake

Here's another recipe from Toby! Thanks Toby......and I'll get the others posted soon! Ratner's Cheesecake and plain cookies Ratner's was a Jewish dairy restaurant in the lower East Side of Manhattan. This recipe, from my disintegrating, no longer in print Ratner's cookbook, is the closest I've ever gotten to reproducing the rich, heavy cheesecake my mother made when I was a kid. It's worth the time it takes to prepare and every last calorie. Dough Can be prepared in advance. Makes enough for two cakes. Can be frozen or used to make cookies – see recipe below. 1 cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup shortening 1 teaspoon lemon extract 1 cup butter 2 eggs 3 cups sifted cake flour ½ teaspoon salt 2 cups all purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1. In a bowl, combine all ingredients with hands. Refrigerate 3 -4 hours, or preferably overnight. Filling (for

The next generation with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome

I'm so behind on posting about the trip to Puerto Rico. Since the episode of Mystery Diagnosis on Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome ran right after we got home, it's been a little busy. These, however, are my favorite pictures from Puerto Rico. I know, not pretty senery etc - but these little guys and gals inspire me. They are the next generation of folks with HPS, and if we keep up the hard work, they will live better lives because of it. They motivate me.

Help for one of our newest HPS friends

As many of you know, I have a google alert set up for all sorts of key terms like albinism, pulmonary fibrosis etc. The following was posted on the blog of a friend of Melanie's. Melanie is one of our newest members of the Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome family. Unfortunately, like so many she didn't know she had HPS and the lung disease sort of snuck up on her. Melanie will be 26 years old next week. Perhaps some of us would like to contribute to the fund set up to help her and her family for her birthday. Here's the post: Melanie Hernandez, beloved sister and daughter to Pete, Monique, Cookie, and Bugie, has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis, a lung disease occurring in people with Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome, a very rare disease.Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome (“HPS”) is a genetic metabolic disorder. It is characterized by: Albinism, Vision Impairment, Bleeding Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Lung Disease – Pulmonary Fibrosis. With the family’s research and the recollect